1. WHAT IS THE PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF THIS DOCUMENT?
This Participant Privacy Notice (“Notice”) describes how we collect, use and disclose the personal information (as described in section 3 below) of participants in certain NBCUniversal productions and events (collectively, the “Productions”).
In this Notice, we will use the terms “NBCUniversal”, “we”, “us” and “our” to refer to the NBCUniversal brand that is producing or commissioning the show or other content that you may appear in.
This Notice does not form part of any contract with you.
We may update this Notice at any time.
2. HOW DO WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We collect information about you through our casting process and through your participation in the Production and related activities, either directly from you or from your representative, or from third parties authorized by you or from other research.
3. WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT, AND WHY?
Please see below for the kinds of information we may hold about you and the purposes for which we use them. The information and usage described within this Notice may be supplemented via agreements with you.
- Name and contact information, such as address, telephone numbers and email addresses, of you and of other individuals whose details you have provided to us (such as your beneficiaries, emergency contacts, friends and family), so we and our partners can communicate with you or them, including to comply with laws.
- Other information provided by you and others as part of the casting and production process, which (depending on the Production and as permitted by law) may include your experiences, background information (e.g., hometown, occupation), personal characteristics (e.g., date of birth, interests), photos or videos, social media handle(s), and information about your family, friends and partners. We may use this information to help us learn your story as we cast, produce and promote our Production and related marketing and advertising content.
- Visual and sound recordings made in connection with the Production.
- Medical and/or psychological assessment information (if applicable). For some Productions, we engage medical and psychological professionals to perform medical and/or psychological assessments of our participants, with their consent. We do this in order to protect the health and safety of our participants and that of other people involved in the Production, and this information is shared with us for this purpose.
- Background check information. For some Productions, we engage background check providers to perform background checks on our participants, with their consent. We do this in order to protect the health and safety of other people involved in the Production, to verify the information provided by the participants and for reputational reasons, and this information is shared with us for this purpose.
- Health information that you provide to us, including information about your physical or mental health or disability status. We may collect and use this to protect your health and safety and that of other people involved in the Production, to assess your fitness to participate, provide certain accommodations, ensure that the Production is appropriately insured, comply with (or exercise rights under) legal or contractual obligations, and (with your permission) to tell your story as part of the Production.
- Union/Guild membership information (if applicable), so we can comply with (or exercise rights under) collective bargaining agreements and other legal requirements.
- Demographic information (if applicable), so we can ensure meaningful equal opportunity and diversity and inclusion monitoring and reporting, and to comply with legal requirements.
- Financial information (if applicable), such as bank account details if required for direct deposit, social security number, tax identifier and tax information.
In addition, we may use the above personal information to comply with the law, to seek legal advice from outside counsel or in connection with litigation with a third party, and to ensure compliance with policies, guidelines and contracts.
4. WHO IS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION DISCLOSED TO?
We will share your personal information with people within NBCUniversal in order to carry out the purposes described in this Notice. These may include people within functions such as production operations, development, labor, physical production, programming and marketing, ad sales, legal and production finance. We put in place controls to restrict access to your more sensitive information (e.g. health, psychological and financial information, if any) to appropriate personnel.
We may share relevant personal information with the following categories of recipients, if applicable:
- Service Providers: including transport and security providers, medical professionals, background check providers and other production service providers, so that they can provide the relevant services needed on a specific Production.
- Other production staff or companies involved with the Production: We may share information with other production staff or companies in order to develop and produce the Production.
- Distribution, Publicity, Advertising and Marketing partners: We may share aspects of your story with potential and existing distribution, publicity, advertising and marketing partners in order to distribute and promote the Production and related advertising and marketing content.
- Viewers: Your personal information that is included in the Production and related promotional and digital materials will be seen by viewers.
Other disclosures: Generally, NBCUniversal shares personal information other than as described above as follows:
- when required to do so by law, regulation, or court order;
- in response to a request for assistance by a law enforcement agency; and
- to seek legal advice from NBCUniversal’s external lawyers or in connection with litigation with a third party.
5. HOW WE PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We maintain organizational, technical, and physical safeguards to help protect the information we collect and use. These safeguards vary depending upon a variety of factors including the sensitivity of the information we collect and use. Despite all reasonable practices, no security method is infallible.