1. WHAT IS THE PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF THIS DOCUMENT?
This Casting Privacy Notice (“Notice”) describes how we collect, use and disclose your personal information (as described in section 3 below) while casting for our film, television, digital and other productions (“Productions”).
This Notice applies to individuals whose personal information we receive as part of the casting process for any of our Productions, across all NBCUniversal brands.
In this Notice, we will use the terms “NBCUniversal”, “we”, “us” and “our” to refer to the NBCUniversal brand that is producing the show or other content that you would like us to consider you for. Under privacy laws, this brand is considered the “data controller” or “business” and is responsible for how it holds and uses personal information about you.
We may update this Notice at any time, for example to reflect changes in our processing activities, or to meet new legal requirements.
This Notice does not form part of any contract with you.
2. HOW DO WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We collect information about you through our casting process, either directly from you or from your agent, or from third parties such as casting agencies and platforms, talent agencies or co-production companies.
If we engage you for a Production, we will collect additional personal information. We have separate privacy notices to describe how we process this information. For example, if you are a California resident, the NBCUniversal California Workforce Privacy Notice will apply.
3. WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT, AND WHY?
Please see below for the kinds of information we may hold about you and the purposes for which we use them.
- Name and contact information, such as address, telephone numbers and email addresses, of you and of other individuals whose details you have provided to us, so we can communicate with you or them, including to comply with laws.
- Other information provided by you or your representatives as part of the casting process, which (as permitted by law) may include biographical information, details of your skills, qualifications, experience, preferences, and personal or physical characteristics, so that we may consider your suitability for a role.
- Photos and videos of you that you submit to us or that we take during the casting process, so we can consider whether you are suitable for a role.
- Your age or age range (if required or permitted by law), for example so we can meet our obligations under child labor laws.
It is in our legitimate interests to collect and process the above information when casting people for our Productions.
In some cases, as permitted or required by law, we may collect the following sensitive personal information:
- Union/Guild membership information (if applicable), if needed to comply with collective bargaining agreements and other legal requirements.
- Demographic information – (e.g. racial/ethnic origin, sexual orientation or disability status) which you may voluntarily provide, so we can ensure meaningful equal opportunity and diversity and inclusion monitoring and reporting, and to comply with legal requirements.
In addition, we may use the above personal information to comply with the law, to seek legal advice from outside counsel or in connection with litigation with a third party, and to ensure compliance with policies, guidelines and contracts.
4. WHO IS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION DISCLOSED TO?
We will share your personal information with people within NBCUniversal to carry out the purposes described in this Notice. These may include people within functions such as production operations, development, labor, physical production, legal, and production finance.
We may share relevant personal information with the following categories of recipients, if applicable:
- Service Providers: For example, transport and security providers, so that they can provide the relevant services.
- Co-production companies: We may share information with co-production companies, for example to make casting decisions.
- Distribution, Publicity, and Marketing partners: Limited production workforce personal information is provided to potential and existing distribution, publicity and marketing partners in connection with the distribution of the film or show.
International Transfer. As a global company doing business across national borders, there are situations where the above recipients are located in the United States or in another country, including countries whose laws may provide no or less legal protection for personal information than the laws in your country of residence. However, we take the privacy and security of your personal information very seriously, and we take steps to protect your personal information in every country where it is held or accessed, including by putting in place appropriate safeguards such as data transfer agreements.
Other disclosures: Generally, NBCUniversal shares personal information other than as described above as follows:
- when required to do so by law, regulation, or court order.
- in response to a request for assistance by a law enforcement agency; and
- to seek legal advice from NBCUniversal’s external lawyers or in connection with litigation with a third party.
5. HOW WE PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We maintain organizational, technical, and physical safeguards to help protect the information we collect and use. These safeguards vary depending upon a variety of factors including the sensitivity of the information we collect and use. Despite all reasonable practices, no security method is infallible.
6. EXERCISING YOUR RIGHTS
Depending on where you live, you may have the right to make certain requests regarding your personal information. For example, if you are resident in California, the United Kingdom or the European Economic Area (EEA), you may:
- request access to the personal information that we hold about you.
- request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to ask us to correct incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you.
- request deletion of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information from our records, subject to certain exceptions. We may deny your deletion request in some circumstances. For example, we may retain your personal information to comply with law.
If you are resident in the UK or the EEA, you may also:
- object to, or request that we restrict, certain types of processing of your personal information that we are carrying out;
- request the transfer of your personal information to another party;
- withdraw your consent for the processing of your personal information, if we have requested your consent.
If you are a California resident, you have the right not to be discriminated against for exercising your rights. California law places certain obligations on businesses that “sell” personal information to third parties or “share” personal information with third parties for cross-context behavioral advertising. We do not “sell” or “share” the personal information covered by this notice and have not done so in the twelve months prior to the effective date of this notice.
In certain instances, applicable local laws may allow us legitimately and properly to refuse some of these requests; for instance, to comply with applicable legal obligations, to protect the legitimate rights of third parties or to preserve the confidentiality of management deliberations.
If you would like to exercise any of your data rights, please send an email to [email protected]. If you are a California resident, you can also call 800-622-6432. We will respond to your questions within the timeframe required under applicable data protection laws.
We also will take reasonable steps to verify your identity (and, if applicable, your agent’s authorization) before responding to a request. In doing so, we may ask you for verification information so that we can match at least two verification points with information we maintain in our files about you. If we are unable to verify you through this method, we shall have the right, but not the obligation, to request additional information from you. We may also require a signed declaration under penalty of perjury that you are the individual whose information is being requested. If we are not able to verify your identity, we may deny your request.
If you have questions or concerns about how we have used your personal information, please contact the NBCUniversal Privacy department at [email protected], mentioning the name of the Production in your email. If you have any unresolved concerns, you may have the right to complain to your local data protection authority. In the UK this is the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (https://ico.org.uk/). However, before doing so, we would encourage you to first contact us directly to allow us an opportunity to resolve any concerns you may have.
7. RETAINING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will keep your personal information for as long as is necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purpose of satisfying legal, accounting and reporting requirements. To determine the appropriate retention period for casting-related personal information, we consider the amount, nature and sensitivity of the information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of the personal information, the purposes for which we process the personal information and whether we can achieve those purposes in other ways, the applicable legal requirements and our legitimate interests.