First-ever reveal of details behind the amazing lands, rides, shows, attractions, and dining experiences at the heart of the destination experience
Click here to view the reveal video
Click here for reveal image
BEIJING (October 20, 2020) - Universal Beijing Resort today unveiled jaw-dropping details of the multiple entertainment experiences available for guests at its expansive destination resort.
Universal Beijing Resort features the Universal Studios Beijing theme park, Universal CityWalk Beijing and two extraordinary hotels, The Universal Studios Grand Hotel and the NUO Resort Hotel. The widely anticipated resort has now revealed even more exciting details for guests.
The Universal Beijing Resort experience is unique to China – representing a collection of Universal’s most popular attractions from around the world as well as specially themed experiences reflecting China’s rich cultural heritage. An enchanting waterway connects all key locations. Guests enter the dazzling CityWalk entertainment complex and approach the magnificent Universal Grand Hotel, which serves as gateway to the entire park. Once inside, seven immersive and expansive, themed lands unfold around a central lagoon.
The seven spectacular themed lands include Kung Fu Panda Land of Awesomeness, Transformers Metrobase, Minion Land, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Jurassic World Isla Nublar, Hollywood and Waterworld. These magnificent lands are at the heart of the guest experience, bringing some of popular films' and pop culture’s most compelling stories and character to life.
Each land is a collection of immersive experiences, including themed rides and attractions, shows, entertainment, shops and restaurants with incredible food and beverages. They are expansive and stretch beyond the limits of imagination. Within them are dozens of blockbuster attractions and entertainment experiences, dozens of themed restaurants and food and beverage venues as well as many specialty merchandise and retail locations.
“We and our local partners, including Beijing Tourism Group, are creating one of the most magnificent theme park destinations ever built – right here in Beijing,” said Mr. Tom Mehrmann, President and General Manager of Universal Beijing Resort. “It is the fruit of co-creation, merging Universal’s decades of global theme park experience with our partner’s deep insights on China. Over 100,000 constructors, more than 500 designers and artists, and more than 500 suppliers and partners from around the world jointly made the project possible, and we can’t wait to unveil this dream destination to the world next year.”
Bringing the Movie World to Life and Creating the Immersion Beyond Imagination
Walking into the themed lands, guests will find themselves in unforgettable movie scenes, experience replicas of the movie world, enjoy wonderful adventures with customized storylines, and completely immerse themselves in multi-sensory stimulation and story-driven experiences.
Today, Universal released the exclusive details on some of the products being developed, including a few iconic landmarks and the most anticipated rides in these theme lands of Universal Studios Beijing, through inspiring conceptual images and videos. Some highlights are-
- 〈 In Transformers Metrobase, the first entire Transformers land in the world exclusively built in Universal Beijing Resort, guests can choose to become “guest agents” and fight together with Autobots on thrilling rides like the Decepticoaster, the biggest and most exciting roller coaster in the Resort or the Transformers: Battle for the AllSpark, one of the most popular rides in the land or visit the Energon Power Station to "replenish energy" like a bot.
- 〈 Guests can explore The Valley of Peace of Kung Fu Panda Land of Awesomeness, inspired by DreamWorks Animation’s beloved film franchise. Set in “Legendary China”, this is Universal’s first Kung Fu Panda-themed land. The Valley of Peace is the small town where Po, the panda hero of this story, lives. Guests can go on a Kung Fu adventure with Po, fighting against Tian Sha on a unique flume ride, Kung Fu Panda Journey of the Dragon Warrior.
- 〈 Inspired by Illumination’s Despicable Me franchise, Minion Land elates and captivates guests, welcoming them into a spectacular, one-of-a-kind immersive experience that invites them to explore iconic locations from the blockbuster films like never before. Throughout the land, guests can interact with the mischievous Minions themselves and, in the land’s signature attraction, Despicable Me Minion Mayhem, guests join Gru, his daughters and the Minions for an unpredictable and utterly electrifying ride. Guests are transformed into Minions and are launched into an unforgettable trip through Gru’s Super Villain laboratory.
- 〈 Walking into The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™, Hogwarts™ castle perfectly embodies this incredible world full of infinite possibilities. Discover Dumbledore's Office, Defense Against the Dark Arts Classroom, Gryffindor Common Room, and the Room of Requirement. The beloved Butterbeer™ is also available for guests to enjoy. In addition, guests may experience an adventure like no other with Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey™. This can-not-miss ride will refresh guests' understanding of immersive entertainment and allow guests fly with Harry on a journey though familiar scenes in the movie and experience a completely immersive journey into the wizarding world.
- 〈 Welcome to Jurassic World Isla Nublar, inspired by Universal Pictures and Amblin Entertainment’s legendary blockbuster franchise. Guests will explore this island of wonder and thrills where dinosaurs roam the Earth again. Inside guests will find an authentic and magnificent world has been expertly brought to life in jaw-dropping detail. Guests can explore this hidden world with four unique zones filled with interactive adventures. With "Jurassic World Adventure", the main ride of this area, guests will take the All-Terrain Luxury Automatic System (ATLAS) into the wilderness of Nublar Island and embark on an adventure in the turbulent world of dinosaurs, encountering Tyrannosaurus rex, Indominus rex and Velociraptor.
Encountering the Unique Entertainment Beyond Expectation
With 24 shows and entertainment experiences, Universal Beijing Resort blurs the lines between stage and cinema in first-ever entertainment experiences utilizing live performers, interactive props and unique sets. Universal Beijing Resort unveiled two unique shows today: Lights, Camera, Action! featured in Hollywood Boulevard and Waterworld Stunt Show.
Featuring world-renowned directors, Zhang Yimou and Steven Spielberg, Lights, Camera, Action! merges both Western and Eastern popular culture, leading guests into the behind-the-scenes glitz and glamour of film special effects. In addition, Universal Studios Beijing will offer Waterworld Stunt Show in the first land dedicated to Waterworld. Guests will join in an immersive adventure and experience a thrilling water battle that gives them an up-close look at the stunt show of water motorboats, high- dives, gunfire, explosions, as well as a plane crash with great sensory stimulation.
A Place Born from Craftsmanship and Co-creation
Behind the blockbuster-sized entertainment of Universal Beijing Resort is the dedicated craftmanship of more than 500 artists from China and the world.
Artists have worked to create and perfect every single detail of the guest experience. They have carefully combined Western and Eastern culture inspirations to create a world full of surprise and amazement. For example, just for one attraction, Peach Tree of Heavenly Wisdom, located in the center of Kung Fu Panda Land of Awesomeness, changes seasons continually through winter, spring, summer and fall. To achieve this, artists created 58,000 hand-made blossoms which were then paired with 360-degree projection and other artistic technologies to achieve the magical transformation effect. Another example is from Transformer Metrobase, which features an expanded and completely fictional story with China as the background. In the creation of the storyline and the experience, international designers carefully studied Chinese culture, such as Flying Fairy, Armillary Sphere and water ink painting, skillfully integrating the inspiration and working closely together with their local counterparts during the design process.
John Gentile, Senior Director & Executive Producer of Universal Parks and Resorts, said: “This is a story of designers of different cultures and thinking working together to collaborate, impact and co-create. Based on the co-creation and our persistence in detail, we have brought something spectacular to life and put our guests in the story. I’m sure you will share in the amazement as you experience the park that has benefitted from the creative input of so many people and so much remarkable effort. We are very proud to be part of this great journey.”
About Universal Beijing Resort
Universal Beijing Resort is a widely anticipated theme park destination that will feature the Universal Studios Beijing theme park, the Universal CityWalk Beijing retail, dining and entertainment complex and two hotels. The hotels include the Universal Studios Grand Hotel, the first-ever Universal-themed resort hotel, and the first NUO-branded resort hotel from Beijing Tourism Group. The Universal Studios Beijing theme park will feature seven highly themed and immersive lands that include several all-new attractions along with the selected Universal rides, shows and attractions from around the world – plus specially created experiences designed to reflect China's cultural heritage.
Universal Beijing Resort is developed, constructed and operated by Beijing International Resort Co., Ltd., a joint venture that is 70 percent owned by Beijing Shouhuan Cultural Tourism Investment Co., Ltd., and 30 percent owned by Universal Parks & Resorts, a business unit of Comcast NBCUniversal.
Beijing Shouhuan Cultural Tourism Investment Company, Ltd. (BSH Investment) was founded to support the investment of Universal Beijing Resort. Under the guideline to, “drive the development of an industry and a region with a project,” BSH Investment and Universal Parks & Resort will jointly invest Universal Beijing Resort with extraordinary design, technology, creativity and environmental protection.
About Universal Parks & Resorts
Universal Parks & Resorts, a unit of Comcast NBCUniversal, offers guests around the globe today’s most relevant and popular entertainment experiences. With three-time Academy Award winner Steven Spielberg as creative consultant, its theme parks are known for immersive experiences that feature some of the world’s most thrilling and technologically advanced film- and television-based attractions. Universal Parks & Resorts in the U.S. are Universal Studios Hollywood, which includes Universal CityWalk Hollywood; and Universal Orlando Resort, a destination resort with three theme parks (Universal Studios Florida, Universal’s Islands of Adventure and Universal’s Volcano Bay water theme park), eight resort hotels, and Universal CityWalk Orlando. Around the world, UP&R includes Universal Studios Japan in Osaka, a license agreement with Universal Studios Singapore at Resorts World Sentosa, and a theme park destination being developed in Beijing called Universal Beijing Resort.
Universal Parks & Resorts Corporate Communications