“Pi is Universal” to Promote STEM Initiatives Across Networks with Technology-Themed Content and Consumer Activations
Continuing to build on a commitment to storytelling driven by technology, NBCUniversal and Comcast will celebrate Ultimate Pi Day – when the date and time match the first 10 digits of Pi on 3/14/15 at 9:26:53 a.m. and p.m.- with a full slate of technology-themed content, social media activations and consumer events. “Pi is Universal” activities during the month of March include TODAY Orange Room activations, Syfy celebrity pie activities, and giveaways to GolfNOW users.
From education to pure entertainment, brands across NBCUniversal and Comcast will shine a spotlight on science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) to showcase the relevance of these fields while having fun with the special date.
"In today’s fast-paced world, STEM education continues to be one the most important initiatives. Media and technology companies need to support and foster a strong pipeline of technologists to keep up with the growing demand for innovation,” said Atish Banerjea, EVP and Chief Information Officer, NBCUniversal. “Our vast portfolio of brands allows us a unique opportunity to amplify the discussion from a range of perspectives that fit authentically with each audience and their interests. Pi Day is a fun way to spread the word about STEM. Technology isn’t just for geeks anymore.”
“The number of technology-based jobs is growing every day. Comcast and NBCUniversal are committed to helping raise the profile of STEM-based careers. Careers in technology and engineering are changing the way we live, work, are entertained and communicate. Their work improves creative people’s lives, solves problems and creates innovative breakthroughs. We are recruiting those individuals who want to work hard, have fun and create the future,” said John Schanz, EVP and Chief Network Officer, Comcast Cable Corporation.
More than a dozen properties from NBCUniversal’s on-air and online portfolio will participate in “Pi is Universal.” Highlights include:
NBCUniversal News Group
· TODAY’s Orange Room will celebrate Pi is Universal with social media activations throughout the morning on March 12. On March 13, the Orange Room will recap the Ultimate Pi Day festivities and feature photos and highlights from the week.
· NBC Learn will offer a collection of free educational videos connecting math with every day concepts including political polls, starting March 2nd and running throughout the month. NBC Learn will also feature Pi content in its monthly newsletter directly targeting students, teachers and parents. Pi content will also be available on the Parent Toolkit website (parentoolkit.com) including expert tips for helping parents engage with their children around Pi Day celebrations. Content will also be available across social media on Education Nation Twitter and Facebook pages and in the weekly Education Nation newsletter.
· CNBC’s “Squawk Alley” (M-F, 11AM-12PM ET) will mention the tech holiday on Friday, March 13.
· Golf Channel will share GolfAdvisor.com reviews on-air in “Morning Drive” from courses in Savannah, GA (zip code 31415) and in St. Louis, MO (area code 314). GolfNow will give gift bags to the first 314 users who book tee times on Saturday, 3/14.
· Sprout will promote Pi Day through kid-friendly messaging on its live, daily morning show, "The Sunny Side Up Show" and with online content, featured on Sproutonline.com
· Syfy will celebrate pi day on its website and across social media with activations from fan favorite content and talent, including “12 Monkeys,” “Sharknado,” “Helix,” “Face Off” and “Childhood's End.”
· As part of Telemundo’s new initiative, Aprender Es Triunfar (Learning is Succeeding), aimed at encouraging students to pursue education in science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics (STEAM) fields, Telemundo will promote Pi Is Universal activities on learningissucceeding.com and aprenderestriunfar.com. The team will also partner with NBCUniversal in recruiting engineers and technologists from the University of Miami.
· The Weather Channel will highlight weather conditions and forecasts for Savannah, Georgia and St. Louis, Missouri, home of the 31415 zip and 314 area codes respectively. Throughout the day, meteorologists will explore how Pi is a part of creating forecasts.
· Comcast will build a curated area for Xfinity On Demand featuring Pi-related content.
· Universal Parks and Resorts Orlando – in addition to employee celebrations including games and educational activities – will promote Pi Is Universal across social media platforms, educating guests and theme park enthusiasts about the connection between technology and theme park attractions.
NBCUniversal and Comcast HR teams are also driving Pi is Universal activations at several universities including: Drexel University, University of Pennsylvania, Temple University, Villanova, San Francisco State University, and Stanford University, University of Miami, and Howard University.