DECEMBER 27, 2017 – “NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt” was the #1 most-watched evening broadcast across the board for the week of December 18, according to Nielsen Media Research data.
“Nightly News” averaged 9 million total viewers, beating “ABC World News Tonight” by +71,000 total viewers (+1%) and “CBS Evening News” by +2.4 million total viewers (+37%).
On Monday, December 18, NBC News senior legal and investigative correspondent Cynthia McFadden sat down with three Dustin Hoffman accusers, Anna Graham Hunter, Cori Thomas and Kathryn Rossetter, for an exclusive television interview airing first on “Nightly News.” This interview marked the first time Hunter, Thomas and Rossetter came forward on television, as well as the first time all three women spoke out together to the media.
For the week of December 18, “Nightly News” was #1 in the key demo for the 79th week in a row, averaging 2.1 million A25-54 viewers, leading ABC by +350,000 viewers (+20%) and CBS by +882,000 viewers (+71%). “Nightly News” was the only evening news broadcast to grow week over week, and posted its largest margin over ABC in 53 weeks.
For 124 of the past 125 weeks, Nightly News was also the most-watched among A18-49 viewers, averaging 1.5 million and topping ABC by +372,000 viewers (+32%) and CBS by +687,000 viewers (+80%). “Nightly News” posted its largest margin over ABC in 53 weeks.
Nightly News continues as the #1 most-watched evening newscast season-to-date in the key demo, delivering its largest demo lead over CBS in four seasons.
For the week of December 18, “Nightly News” rated for four nights (Dec. 18, Dec. 19, Dec. 20 and Dec. 21) due to the Christmas holiday.
# # #
- Nightly News averaged 9 million total viewers, beating ABC by +71,000 (+1%) total viewers and CBS by +2.4 million (+37%).
- Nightly News averaged 2.1 million A25-54 viewers, outperforming ABC by +350,000 viewers (+20%) and CBS by +882,000 (+71%).
- Nightly News has ranked #1 in A25-54 for 79 consecutive weeks.
- Nightly News averaged 1.5 million A18-49 viewers, topping ABC by +372,000 (+32%) and CBS by +687,000 (+80%).
- Among A18-49 viewers, Nightly News has won 124 of the last 125 weeks.
- “Nightly News” is the #1 evening newscast this season in A25-54 and A18-49
- “Nightly News” holds its largest A25-54 demo advantage over CBS in four seasons.
Week of December 18 – December 22, 2017:
|Total Viewers||A25-54 Rating||A25-54 Viewers||A18-49 Rating||A18-49 Viewers|
# # #
ABOUT NBC NIGHTLY NEWS WITH LESTER HOLT
NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt is the most-watched evening newscast in America, providing the very latest on the day’s top stories and going beyond the headlines to add context and analysis to the most pressing issues of our times. NBC Nightly News reaches more than 24 million people every week through its broadcast and millions more through NBCNews.com, the Nightly News app, and social media platforms. Lester Holt is the anchor, and Sam Singal is the executive producer.
# # #
For more information contact: